Find your purpose in life
If it feels like you’re just drifting through life, finding your life’s purpose might be the solution. Imagine waking up
each day feeling excited and motivated. You might never feel the need to hit the snooze bar again. Living your life’s dream is an excellent way to invite happiness into your life. As children, we have a pretty good idea of what we want to be when we grow up. Astronaut, professional baseball player, doctor, princess, and fireman are all common goals at 8-years of age. Have you ever heard a child state they wanted to be an office worker when they grew up? Yet somehow, most of us manage to wind up with careers that are less than satisfying.
Try these tips for finding the purpose of your life:
1. Get a piece of paper and a pen and ask yourself. Find a quiet place for an hour and take pen to paper. Ask yourself, “What is my purpose?” and write down whatever answer you receive.
‣ Write down everything. If your thought is, “This is dumb. It will never work,” then that’s exactly what you write.
‣ Eventually, some meaningful things will come out. Just keep writing!
‣ You’ll know you’ve found it when you cry. Before it’s over, you’ll come up with an idea that makes you cry. There will be no doubt when you find it. If you’re not sure, keep writing.
2. What did you like to do as a child? Kids always have interesting things that occupy their free time. While you might not still be interested in playing in the dirt, you might like the idea of becoming a civil engineer.
‣ What could you do as an adult that meshes with your childhood interests?
3. What activities cause you to lose track of time, skip meals, and wait until the last minute to use the bathroom? What fascinates you? Have you ever lost all sense of time because you were so engrossed in something? That might be a clue.
‣ Make a list of the subjects and activities that captivate you.
4. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t possibly fail? It’s common to underestimate your capabilities. You might surprise yourself if you’d just give yourself a chance. The perfect choice might be something that you’ve successfully talked yourself out of. Reconsider.
5. If you had one year left to live, how would you spend it? Impending death might be the more effective way to focus your mind on those things that are most important to you. If your time left on Earth were limited, how would you spend it?
6. If you could solve one problem in the world, what would it be? There are many challenges facing the earth: poverty, hunger, disease, pollution, and more. Maybe the challenge that interests you is something you could grow into a profession or major hobby.
‣ Contributing to the world in your own, unique way can add to the degree of satisfaction you feel each day. If you’re confident you’re spending your life in the way you were intended, you’re well on your way to living a life filled with joy. Avoid believing that you’re stuck. It’s not too late to find your life’s purpose and begin living yourdream. Take the time to do this exercise as soon as possible.
“It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and i